Saint Andrew Young Adult Mission Trip – Bethlehem Farm, West Virginia
July 27 – August 3, 2019
Who: Young Adults in their 20s and 30s
What: Service Based Mission Trip at Bethlehem Farm in Talcott, West Virginia. The focus of this week is on service, prayer, and Catholic social teaching
When: Depart Chicago for West Virginia on July 27. Service week July 28-August 2. Return to Chicago on August 3.
Details: Join the Saint Andrew Young Adults on their Summer Mission Trip! We are headed to Bethlehem Farm in Talcott, West Virginia, to work with a Catholic group in an underserved area of Appalachia. Take the opportunity to get out of the city this summer, but be prepared for a lot of hard work, genuine companionship, and spiritual growth.
Cost: All inclusive (room, board, and transportation) $475-550. Cost variable depending on overnight accommodations en route to/from WV.
Registration: Groups have a better chance of receiving spots for this Adult Service Week! If you would like to register with Saint Andrew as a group, a $50 non-refundable deposit is due by February 1st, and should be mailed or dropped off at the Parish Rectory: 3546 N Paulina St, Chicago, IL 60657. Please make checks payable to Saint Andrew Church. Alternatively, payments may be made electronically via Give Central. Please email (Megan@standrew.org) for more information.
What can I expect during a Service Retreat Week at Bethlehem Farm?
When you join us for a week you can expect to:
- experience a countercultural community
- work hard
- wake up early
- go to bed exhausted every night
- be challenged and supported physically, emotionally, and spiritually
- have a voice which others will listen to and respect
- give up technology for the week
- pray in both traditional and creative ways
- meet nature face to face
- become friends with donkeys, dogs, and chickens
- prepare meals from scratch
- spend time in the garden
- feel uncomfortable at times
- challenge any Appalachian stereotypes you may have
- feel at home with complete strangers
- see God, your friends, and the world in which you live from an entirely new
Here’s what a typical week looks like at the farm:
Sunday: Arrival (between 6:30 pm & 7:00 pm), Tour around the house and possibly the farm (depending on light), Intro to Bethlehem Farm, Cornerstone Prayer Service, Group Leader Meeting, Free time, & Lights out. Monday: Day at the Farm Wake Up, Morning Prayer, Chores, Breakfast, Dishes, Farm Chores, Mass, Lunch, History & Mission of Bethlehem Farm, Farm Hike, Free Time, Dinner, Dishes, Free Time, & Lights out.
Tuesday – Friday: Days at the Worksites Wake Up, Prayer, Chores, Breakfast, Dishes, Head off to worksites (except home crew), Lunch on site, Return to the Farm, Dinner, Dishes, Evening Prayer, Free Time, & Lights out.
Saturday: Departure Wake Up, Prayer, Breakfast, Dishes, House Clean-Up, Head home (around 10 am)
- Tuesday: Community Night – we invite local community members up to the farm for a potluck dinner & occasionally they’ll bring a musical instrument or two o Wednesday: River of Life Service – we head to a local weekday worship service and join the members for dessert & sometimes a kickball game in the parking lot with the pastor and his son
- Thursday: Shared Prayer – it’s an opportunity for the community to reflect and share where they have seen God in the last week
- Friday: (Summer Months Only) We end the work week with a dip in the Greenbrier River