With just one week before the 2019-2020 school year starting, we are thrilled to report the Gym Modernization Project is nearly 100% done! All basketball equipment has been installed and all electrical work and upgrades are complete. All contracted painting work throughout is done! The historic floor has been sanded and buffed twice and two (2) eco-friendly coats of low VOC sealer have been applied. Line striping of all basketball and volleyball courts is done! New wording and logo placement is also done! A final, high gloss finishing coat of low VOC sealer will be applied mid-week. At that point, the floor contract will be complete. The existing bleachers are sparkling clean and wrapped and protected from dust. Safety padding has been ordered for more than just the railings. The existing bleachers will be covered, concession stand corners, and some walls will also get padding. And finally the motors for the bleachers will be shipped and installed within the next few weeks.
It takes a village and this group of outside contractors and internal staffers and volunteers have been spectacular! THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE PLAYED A ROLE!
As a reminder, the following is a running list of things we can provide status on.
- We established an internal Saint Andrew “Gym Modernization” committee in March
- We were assigned a Project Manager in late March
- The PM has been to the Saint Andrew Gym (mid April) and has been given the scope of work (replace 6 existing basketball boards with new electronic ones, relocation of east bleachers, make present bleachers motorized, installation of safety padding, sanding and refinishing the gym floor, electrical upgrades and painting of gym walls)
- An approved electrician has been to the gym (late April) to quote the electrical requirements – proposal received
- All proposals for the scope of work have been received – floor refinishing, bleachers, basketball backstops and painting of the gym walls
- Proposals have been reviewed by the Project Manager, Father Sergio and the Gym Modernization committee
- Recommendations have been made by the Project Manager
- The bid and scope of work has been reviewed by the Vicar and APPROVED!!!
- Paint colors have been chosen
- East side bleachers removed this week (6/24)
- Existing equipment demo’d July 5th and 6th
- New equipment is installed and operational
- Electrical work complete
- Existing bleachers cleaned and wrapped
- Painting throughout complete
- Wood floors sanded, buffed and sealed
- Floor striping and logo placement is complete
- Safety padding ordered
- TBD date to ship motors
We will continue to communicate our progress via Flocknote eBulletin’s, sign up at www.flocknote.com/StAndrewChicago for more information. We are very optimistic about our progress thus far and will keep the Parish and School informed every step of the way. Thank you for your continued support!